Monday, March 8, 2010

A few ways to help....

Hello!
So normally, during this time of the year, I post my annual note telling you about the Relay for Life, and my involvement in the event. However, this year, I'm actually working hard toward two causes, UCSD's annual Relay for Life through the American Cancer Society, and a trip to Honduras during my spring break with the Global Water Brigades. My involvement in each has been a great experience, and since I love them both, I'm hoping you'll love one too! If you can help me out in either way, I would very much appreciate it (and so would some other people....)! A bit more about each.....

1) The annual Relay for Life is an 24-hour event through the American Cancer Society, organized to "celebrate" the lives of those who have had cancer, "remember" those who have lost the fight, and "fight back" through awareness, education, ACS services, and fundraising for research! This will be my 5th relay, my 4th at UCSD, and my 3rd as a part of the planning committee - this year I'm in charge of recruiting and organizing an estimated 120 teams that come from campus clubs, organizations, the greek community, residence halls, and groups of friends who unite around the cause. I LOVE this event, and its given me some of my best memories from UCSD. It will be held this year on April 10-11. You can go to my personal website at http://main.acsevents.org/goto/anitajohnson

2) The Global Brigades is a student-led organization that sends students on week-long trips to Honduras and Panama. UCSD students are dedicated to the cause medicine, public health, dental, water, or the environment (other universities have others too). Why Honduras? It is, the 2nd poorest country in the Western hemisphere, and our aim is to help villages where more than 75% of the inhabitants have parasites and other water-born illnesses. **Why** did I get involved? As I plan to graduate in the spring with my BS degree in Environmental Chemistry, I have been wondering what my best and favorite use of my degree would be, but every chemistry career I have considered has left me with lingering images of my time in Ghana, and a Ghanaian's access to clean water and air. So, I've tentatively decided to pursue a masters degree program in Environmental Health. Other than helping build water structures and promote sanitary living habits, my hope is that this trip will help me learn about the real environmental health problems that developing countries face, and an outsider's efforts to help! To learn more about the Global water Brigades, go to http://www.globalbrigades.org/project/water/what-is-a-brigade/ or, to help the community that I will be helping, you can go to my page at https://fundraising.intelis.com/gbl/AThons/Home.jsp?Person=cc0d0bb8125608211c11021628578425&Event=cc0d0bb8120f9a7f25a10016197f083d

Thank you SO much for your support, it means so much to me, but even better, your donation really will help many more!

Have a GREAT week! Let me know if you have ANY questions, or call me 858-602-8874
-Anita

No comments: